As an animal hospital in Davie we want to keep our community aware of the dangers that the Florida summer can offer up to the four legged members of their families.
At DPC Veterinary Hospital we want all of our patients to enjoy an injury, sickness free season so we have listed some common dos and don’ts for their owners:
- Owners should start with a trip to the vet for a spring time checkup focused on heart worm and flea and tick prevention.
- Never leave your pet inside a car without the air conditioning running. Even with all the windows down, the sun streaming through all the windows will quickly turn your interior into an oven.
- Before you take your dog out consider the temperature of the asphalt and concrete he or she is going to have to walk on. Their pads can burn and blister if exposed to a surface that you could literally fry an egg on.
- It is a good idea to have your pet’s hair cut shorter in the summer but not to an extreme. The layers of hair or fur serve as protection from UV rays and prevent their skin from being sunburned..
- For outside dogs it goes without saying that they need a shady place for shelter and plenty of water
Remember your pets are smaller than you, weigh less and are closer to the heat radiating ground surface than you are. They can’t survive the heat nearly as well as a healthy human. Call our staff at DPV Veterinary Hospital if you have any questions and we’ll be happy to offer our advice: Read more